My beautiful family

My beautiful family

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Momma's Fall Races

Dear Gage and Gabe,

I fancy myself a "runner." I'm slow as molasses, but I love being out on the road. I ran my first "race" in 2008.  It was a 5K in Lexington with my good friend Sarah Shouse. I was so proud of finishing the 3.1 miles, but I knew that I wanted more.

In 2009, I ran my first half marathon in Louisville. Since that half, I knew I wanted to run a full marathon and made it a goal of mine to complete one before I turn 30. In January 2012, I made a New Year's Resolution to run a marathon. I had my sights set on the First Annual BG26.2 in November. I ran a half marathon in March and just knew I would be able to achieve my goal. That is, until I found out I was pregnant in April. I continued to run up until I was around 25 weeks pregnant, but then it got more difficult. I accepted the truth that I would not be able to keep my resolution. I would not be running a marathon in 2012.

Gabe, you were born on December 5 and on January 1, 2013 I hit the roads once more. This would be my year to run a marathon. When you were 15 1/2 weeks old, I ran the Total Fitness Half Marathon in Bowling Green. I didn't achieve a PR, but I finished with a respectable time. That was March and by June, it was time to start officially training for the marathon.

Running  the Total Fitness MiniMarathon with Therisa

Post race pic with baby Gabe
I use a RunKeeper app on my phone and it has several different training plans. I selected a plan whose goal is a sub-4 hour marathon. This seemed like a hefty goal, but under four hours was what I wanted to achieve. Each week, my long runs lengthened by a mile and each week, my weekly mileage increased. I ran out on the back roads around our house and I also took you boys to run with me at Kereiakes. It was an extra workout to push you boys in the double runner, but it helped in my training.

In October, I ran the Medical Center 10K Classic. It was a cold day and one minute before the the gun went off, the rain started. And it stayed. It rained the entire race and gradually became heavier and heavier. I was soaked by the time I crossed the finish line with a new PR of 49:59. Daddy and you boys were waiting for me at the finish line, cheering me on!

Crossing the finish at the Medical Center 10K Classic
Two weeks later, it was time for the BG26.2. November 3, 2013 was a very cold morning (one of the coldest of the fall season thus far - just my luck). But the sky was clear and it was supposed to get up in the low 40's. I didn't sleep well the night prior due to nerves and the anticipation of the race. I was so nervous because I had never run the distance I was about to run. I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish. I was worried that I would fail. I had put so much time and energy into training for this race, and it was finally here. 

I got up to the starting line with enough time to make some final preparations. I bounced around trying to shake the nerves and was even on the verge of tears a few times. By the time the gun sounded, I was a basket case and just ready to get started. Out of the chutes we went and up the hill we ran. About a mile in, I started to calm down and fall into my race pace. As I ran through campus, an older gentleman in a cowboy hat fell into step beside me. He asked me what my goal for the day was and once I told him I was trying for a sub 4 hour marathon, he told me he was going to stick with me. 

Robert has been a marathoner for 10 years and the BG26.2 was his 280th marathon! He's ran a race in all 50 states and is currently making his way through them for the third time. The week prior, he ran a marathon in Indonesia where the weather was 75 degrees with 95% humidity. A drastic difference to the rain conditions at our race. He was a very nice man and he shared a lot of advice and tips along the way. We stuck together until the 12 mile mark, when he fell back. He encouraged me to go on and wished me well. 

I continued on at a little under my target pace and was optimistic about the way things were going. I felt a bit of discouragement as I watched the half marathoners end their race while I started the second loop. Running through campus the second time (up and down the hill twice more), was challenging and I think it's what did me in. By the time I reached the 21 mile mark, I was struggling. My pace was slowing and every step became harder and harder. I kept to my mantra, "one foot in front of the other," but it started to fail me. I started praying the rosary, but I kept losing my place. By mile 25, I was ready to call it a day, throw in the towel, but got some encouragement from another runner. "One more mile! You can do this!" he said. I reached deep into my core and mustered up the strength to get to the finish line. I crossed at 4:04:01. Not my goal, but damn proud that I finished. You boys, Daddy and Dows were there cheering me through the finish. I nearly collapsed, but stayed on my feet long enough for victory hugs and kisses. I had done it! I had finished a marathon! I was so giddy with excitement, but at the same time exhausted and sore. One of my proudest achievements and I got to share it with you! Thank you boys (and Daddy) for all the encouragement in my running endeavors! I look forward to the races to come and to the day when we can all cross the finish line together!

Crossing the finish line!!!
My running buddy - Robert aka "Cowboy"

Post run pic

One of my gifts from the goody bag - coffee always tastes a little sweeter out of this cup

Finished 3rd in my age group and got this nifty mug
I love you so much,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment