My beautiful family

My beautiful family

Monday, August 26, 2013

Canning

Dear Gage and Gabe, 

Your daddy does such a great job every year growing us a nice garden, so one my jobs is to preserve all the wonderful things your daddy grows for us. We canned nearly 30 quarts of dill pickle spears with our homegrown cucumbers and dill. We canned quarts of pasta sauce, salsa, diced tomatoes and some small jars of ketchup. We pickled banana peppers and beets. We also blanched and froze gallons of green beans, froze breaded zucchini, yellow squash, and okra. I made several loaves of zucchini bread and froze them as well. I've made a couple batches of pesto from our homegrown basil that has been frozen. We acquired some hot peppers from Daddy’s friend Brian, so I made my first-ever batch of hot sauce. I used jalapeno, Chile, habanero, and ghost peppers to make the sauce. It has a great flavor, but quite a burn. It is not to be eaten alone, that’s for sure. I really enjoy preserving and canning all the homegrown vegetables and this ensures we can enjoy the garden year round.

Pickled beets

Pasta sauce

Ketchup

Full cupboard

Pesto

Hot sauce
I love you,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment